Thursday 8 September 2022

Self-Introductory Letter

 Dear Prof Brad,


I am writing this introductory letter to give you a better, more precise idea of myself. My name is Ho Aun Hao and I am a Year 1 engineering student currently attending your critical thinking and communication module. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic in 2018 with a diploma in mechatronics. My hobbies are playing video games and learning foreign languages.


I feel that my writing skill is the major weakness in my communication skills because I tend to be long-winded when writing letters, e-mails or essays, which sometimes might make me go off-topic. However, with the help of this module, I hope to overcome this long-standing issue and become a better writer.


When it comes to presentation skills, I dare say that it is better compared to my written skill since I had many opportunities to speak in front of a large group of people, especially during my time in national service. I always stay calm and relaxed throughout my presentation to prevent myself from freezing on the spot. Other than that, I try to use gestures and tones during my presentation, ensuring that my audiences stay focused and feel engaged. In the past, I even had a chance to do a presentation using German in front of others. Thus doing a presentation is not a big issue for me.


My main objectives in this module are to improve and refine both my writing and presentation skills. For the writing part, I hope to be proficient in writing professionally, as it is the cornerstone of effective communication and a valued skill in the workplace. As for the presentation aspect, I hope to achieve perfection in verbal communication skills as it helps to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings and communicate with others more freely.


I look forward to all the fun I can have in your classes.


Yours faithfully,


Aun Hao


8 comments:

  1. Hi Aun Hao,

    Appreciate reading and getting to know your background. One possible improvement would be to ensure proper grammar when structuring your words. I hope through this module, you can improve on your writing skills as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Danish, thanks for reading my letter and giving me your honest opinions. Hope that both of us will become better with our communication skills in this module.

      Delete
  2. Hello Aun Hao, I have read your letter and I get to know you better. I see that your sentence structure have some grammatical mistake and for your background, you did not state the reason why you come to engineering. Other than that, I hope we can work together to improve our writing and presentation skills as I also have the same issue as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Qi Feng, thanks for pointing out the mistakes that I made. I will try to add in the missing information as soon as possible. Let's hope that we can improve our writing skills through this module.

      Delete
  3. Hi Aun Hao, I've read your letter and it was clear and concise. In terms of guidelines, you forget to state something unique about yourself which makes you stand out from the rest. Overall the letter was well-written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raizan, thanks for the reminder on the missing info. Really appreciate the fact that you spent time reading through my letter.

      Delete
  4. Dear Aun Hao,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and yet detailed letter and the personal sharing. I appreciate the content that is well aligned with the assignment brief, the effective organization and the generally flawless language use. You've done a very fine job providing supporting information for each specific content area, allowing us readers to gain a clearer understanding of who you are.

    From the discussion of your strengths, it's easy to see that you have great potential for the presentation portion of our module. You also mention your interest in languages. I would have liked to know which ones you have studied, and the context, especially since you even mention giving a speech in German.

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments, Prof Brad. It's good to know that you have a much better understanding on my backgrounds. As for the content about languages, I will add into my introduction letter at a later date.

      Delete

Critical Reflection

Module Learning Before this module, I was confident that my writing and communication skills were above average and required minimal improve...